Wednesday, January 27, 2010

principles in peril?

dear emily,

hans and i had a disagreement about whether we would lay
down our principles in order to save our children. he is a man
of such integrity and honor that he could not fathom doing it.

i, on the other hand, said that i feared what i might be able to
do in protecting my children.  i promptly went through the ten
commandments in my mind and thought, "yep, i am capable
of breaking everyone, even making little idols of my little ones."

something transpired in my meek heart, once i had that first
baby;  a lioness replaced the lamb who had always ruled there.
i need the Lord to continually draw me near to keep her claws
under His rule.

when two women were fighting over a baby, king solomon
wisely said, "let's just cut it in half, and you can share him."
the authentic mother cried out at the thought and was willing
to give him up rather than injure him.

i cringe to think of giving up any of my precious ones, but i
need to be willing to do that, too, if it would save them from
harm.

so, here's a question:  what is the most extreme thing YOU would
be willing to do in order to save or feed your children?

love,
lea

14 comments:

Unspoken said...

I can't even begin to imagine, but I would do more than I know I would because that is what rises in calamity, more than we know is in is.

Unspoken said...

In US that is!

Joyful said...

WOW - that's a tough question. I think because of a situation our family is going through right now, I would say a very hard thing to do is to see the truth, even when it would be easier to accept the lies. Confronting sin could save the child from wandering further away. We may want to turn a blind eye to some of the things our children do, but that only perpetuates the problem. It takes a lot of courage to see truth and not be deceived, regardless of how desperately we want to embrace rationalization or compromise. A covering of grace just fuels evil when repetance isn't being sought. Tough love is hard.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment.
Blessings,
Joy

myletterstoemily said...

sounds a bit like eli and his sons. i am frequently convicted of that. it is
very difficult parenting older children, huh?

Vee said...

Perhaps we could look at what the Lord allows to happen to His children as an example. Yikes!

Julie Harward said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment. Interesting post here too. Have a good day :D

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Lea! Very nice to meet you, and a very interesting post today too!.. provoking too much thought to fit into this one little comment box, I think!.. But it brings to mind the movie Bette Midler played in, called "Stella". Oh did I need nearly my entire box of tissues for THAT one! ~tina

Deborah Ann said...

Thanks for the sweet birthday wish, and that hilarious joke! I wish everyone could have won!

What extreme thing would I do to save my children? I have learned the hard way that talking to them does no good. I keep my mouth shut, and pray hard!

Karen said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I look forward to reading your musings.
Karen

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I'm with you. Anything. I even stole my youngest from a hospital when he was an infant and dying. He is now 30 and thriving.

myletterstoemily said...

wow! now that is a mama lion!

A Refocused Life said...

I wasn't ready for that question. Hmm...I do have big bear claws when it comes to protecting my family. Not sure how far I would go, but I would first rely on my faith.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a note. I love connecting with new people and blogs.

Karen said...

Good afternoon, Lea. Thank you for your visit to my blog yesterday. It's nice to "meet" new people here.
What a wonderful idea for a blog. I'm sure you're doing a great job at being a Titus 2 woman of God.
What would I do? I'd like to think anything that was needed. That's a hard question. Hmmmm

Aubrey said...

I enjoyed this post (and all the comments) so much. I too would do anything, and, like Hans, Nick would stick to principle. Is it a mommy thing, I wonder? My own mother warned me about that fierce feeling when Ella was born, and, as usual, she was 100% correct.