Sunday, July 21, 2013

not a farmer

dear emily,

my dad grew up on a farm outside a tiny town in the panhandle of
oklahoma.    farming remained in his blood well after college and
medical school.    he was, in fact, the quintessential country doctor,
even though he always practiced medicine in the city.

he longed for the country and so bought 1,200 acres near our city.
to my horror, we became ranchers.   every weekend and for three
or four weeks each summer (our summer vacation,) we worked
cattle, rode horses, and hauled hay.   my dad relished the hard work
in the sunshine, as if doctoring 80 hours a week wasn't work.

as a teenager, the city held my heart.   i liked tanning at swimming
pools, shopping at clothing stores, and drinking diet dr. pepper with
vanilla at sonic.   my sympathy always fell with lisa douglas from
'green acres.'   why, oh why, did oliver make her leave the city?

while pulling stuck hay from the sharp blades of dad's tractor on a
105 degree day, imagining a rattle snake with every reach, noting
that dad was about five feet above all rattlers, i would sing,

"new york is where i'd rather stay . . . i get allergic smelling hay."

love,
lea

"ruth said to naomi,  'i would like to go and glean grain in the field
of anyone who will allow me . . . "  ruth 2:2

12 comments:

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

I love this story. It just goes to show that sometimes if you can't get something out of your 'blood' (like your dad and 'country', it's best to just enjoy it.

I love to live where I can get access to the city. I wouldn't want to be stuck in 'country' life at all :-)

Elizabeth Dianne said...

I have been exposed to some "country life" myself when I was really small but give me the city any day.

I do think you have a great legacy and for sure taught yo the value of hard work.

I always love your "stories," Lea.

Thank you so much for your prayers for the guys.

Farm Girl said...

I like this Lea, I know just what you mean. I look out at my chicken coop and my garden, and always wonder, " I am like Lisa Douglas, and now, look at me. I never even liked chickens. :)
Great story.

Susan B said...

I have to admit I'm a country girl at heart...and that is where I wish I lived. I live in the suburbs now, and I wish we had moved to the country when we had the chance so our kids would have been raised like I was. Thanks for the story. :)

Vee said...

And now you're a combination gal. You learned to love the country, right? I was more of a Petticoat Junction gal. I always wanted to swim in that water tower...ewwww...when I think about it.

Darcie said...

Not a country girl, huh? I don't know, it has always sounded charming too me, but I don't know if it would be all that charming once I got into all the HARD work it entails.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

LOL...well I grew up in the city, but spent weekends on my grandfather's farm. When life is rough the first place I want to go is to the farm! It must be my happy place....but I would put New York in second place.

Auntie Cake said...

Too funny! I have a sneaking suspicion that you appreciate it much more as an adult. I grew up in a big city but after living out here in the country for the last 13 years, I don't know that the city would want me back!!! But don't take me too far from my grocery store, my Target or my Michael's!!!

Have a great week!
Kate

Debra said...

Love it!
Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

When I grew up on a farm I, too, I wanted out. I wanted the city life, and have been here ever since. Many times, though, I've longed to go home again. I still have the land.

I’m working on a writing project and currently seeking contributions on the theme of forgiveness, and would love your input. It can be something you’ve already written, or something brand new.
It can be a favorite quote, a link, a poem, a story, a song … it matters not. Just share what you have.
http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com/2013/07/forgive-or-die.html

Joan Elizabeth said...

I grew up as a "townie", that is in a small country town, not on the land. My Dad grew up on a farm outside of that town and sold up rather than taking it over when his father retired.

We used to ask him why did you leave the farm. We would love to live on a farm. His response was "If you had to get up early every morning and milk the cows before you went to school you wouldn't like it?"

I think he made a good point.

Joan Elizabeth said...

By the way my Dad set up an engineering business in the town and our hard labour was stacking steel into the racks when the delivery came from the city. But at least that was not EVERY day.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Lea, and here I spent every summer running from the city to Daddy's sister to spend the summer on her farm. I'm not sure I was a huge help but I was happy and sincere. lol